Wednesday 6 January 2010

Why we must treasure our regional accents -Times Online

Further to my last blog, I've had a response. Yes; other people agree that grammatical errors devalue the speaker's message; their trustworthiness and unfortunately their intelligence. One reader mentioned the habit of inflections at the end of phrases, so that every sentence sounds like a question. "I'm going to the gym" - with an upward inflection. Also the "I went to the shops, and it was, like, SOO busy." - complete with rolling eyes and flicky hair.

I've come across another article promoting regional accents.
Why we must treasure our regional accents -Times Online

My message is still to treasure regional variety, but to be aware of your use of grammar; speak clearly and don't go up at the end of every sentence unless it's a question!!

No comments: