Tuesday 26 January 2010

Tense jaws - and what an impact they make on customers!

When I first came to London, aged 22, I responded to an advert for a flatshare. The person answering the phone went "Hello" in a perfect Monty Python voice. My response was to put the phone down; I couldn't have shared a flat with this bloke!!

I now know that he had a very tense jaw; it impacted on the quality of his voice. It also affects the non-verbal messages you give to others, as it closes your face to other people.

In addition to this, a tense jaw could create headaches; and not only are these unpleasant, but you might reduce your communication - engagement with others on the phone; face to face etc.

So; here are a couple of tips for relaxing your jaw. Remember not to force any movement.

1. Very gently move your jaw from side to side.

No comments: