Wednesday 6 January 2010

Regional accents thrive against the odds in Britain - Times Online

I am a great fan of regional accents: well some; I have difficulty with the Estuary glottal stop and some Scouse accents, for the reason I am unable to understand them. Regional accents and a variety in the way we speak is music to the ears. I was therefore delighted to read the following article.

Regional accents thrive against the odds in Britain - Times Online

My only comment is to keep speaking in a regional accent. However, remember your grammar. Remember Alesha Dixon as a judge. She had a strong Southern accent, but it was her lack of basic grammar that annoyed people, and devalued what she said.

More information from http://www.executivevoice.co.uk

2 comments:

Jeremy Jacobs said...

Agreed. "them people" and similar shows a lack of education.
Worst of all though, is the raised inflection.

JJ

Susan Heaton Wright said...

OOH YES!!! and the "And then, like, I went, like, to the shops!"
Are we showing our age over these particular mannerisms??