Saturday 20 September 2008

How do you say it?

Earlier this week I attended a charity evening "shop" at a mid-market ladies dress shop. It was a very pleasant evening with champagne, canapes, treatments from some charming girls, goodie bags and an opportunity to purchase at a 10% discount! I planned to buy some of my winter wardrobe there.
I was just looking at some dresses on a rail when a shop assistant barked at me "Move, I have a customer with me!" Somewhat stunned, I realised that she was actually speaking to me: a potential customer... I would have been horrified if one of my team, representing my company had spoken to anyone like that, and needless to say I left the evening very soon after, having not bought anything.
Yesterday I went to the Royal Albert Hall to see a concert. Unfortunately the lighting had been set so that our whole section had a blue or white light shining directly into our eyes. We all spent most of the first half covering our eyes, and needless to say, we could hardly see when the lights went up. I decided to find the front of house manager, to let him know of the situation and to request that new seats could be found. I was courteous, and he responded by being most helpful; he found us outstanding seats in the upper stalls, and arranged for everyone that wasn't in our party to also be re-seated. I left feeling very positive about the outcome and the service that the RAH provided.
The way we address people affects the outcome; I have no further plans to visit the dress shop again because I was treated appallingly, yet I will return to the RAH very soon. I am sure my request for seats would have been treated less positively had I approached the situation differently; front of house managers can find limited view seats when required...
When addressing strangers - in particular, it is a thought worth bearing in mind...

No comments: