Friday 5 September 2008

Earlier this week, my husband and I watched Sarah Palin, the Republican Vice Presidential candidate on television. She's one 'tough cookie' as my American cousins would no doubt say. She came across very positively, but there were two aspects of her delivery that, in my opinion, let me down. I'm being picky here because the current president is no master of delivery, but that's another story.

My husband shouted at the TV "She's squeaky; she's high!" When she spoke, her voice became higher pitched and squawky as she became more passionate. It then becomes more difficult to listen to. Men are not able to hear high pitched noises and voices clearly and will switch off. Anyone that has experienced a baby crying at night, and your husband does not awake knows exactly what I mean. If Ms Palin wants to deliver a powerful speech, she needs to address this, so that EVERYONE can hear her message.

The other point I noted was that her diction wasn't too hot. There are a variety of accents in the States, but I found it quite difficult comprehending and picking up everything she was saying.

Women in high profile positions do have to work harder at their presentation skills. Margaret Thatcher and Baroness Boothroyd, who had to deliver plenty of public speeches both consciously dropped their voices to a lower pitch, to make them more audible and an easier tone to listen to. Women have a tendency (myself included) to make their voices higher, and therefore screechy, when they are angry or getting more passionate about a topic. We therefore have to work hard to avoid this, to ensure our messages get across to the whole audience.

Perhaps Ms Palin needs some vocal coaching. Do give her my number.

No comments: