Thursday 11 June 2009

The Impact of a new photo on Ecademy



Yesterday I received a couple of messages from contacts on Ecademy. I don't use Ecademy very much; I have a 'quiet presence'. Whilst I was checking my messages I decided to change my photo whilst I was there. Now as you can see, it is hardly "Russian Bride Catalogue"but it has generated a flurry of interest from gentlemen on Ecademy who want to "Get to know me better". I was astonished that the new photo created this rush (at the last count 33 requests after 12 hours).
Given that Ecademy is an online business tool, any visual image is particularly powerful. We have photos on websites and marketing material that create an image of the person and also one makes decisions on this.
I remember when I was offered my first teaching post in Kenya, the (appalling) headmaster admitted that his staff had chosen me because of my photo; they didn't consider my cv or interests.
A good photo can get you an appointment, or be one other method by which people make a decision about your company. It could be you have already contacted them and spoken by telephone - where an opinion has already been made, and a photo could reinforce an opinion.
Of course we are manipulated by digital enhancement, and on one level we know that it is not 'real' (sound samples of music and videos of my musicians are only an indication of the quality of their performance, but clients are able to make a quick decision on whether or not they wish to receive more information), but it is a tool for drawing in potential custom.
It is a challenge to create the right image; perhaps my image isn't right for Ecademy given the response.... but perhaps a combination of different styles of photos; portraits and action shots would be powerful.
Find out more about Executive Voice on http://www.executivevoice.co.uk

2 comments:

Derrick Cameron said...

Hi Susan,
You are so right about photos and the impact they have on people. I must admit that this was a key reason we chose to have professional but fun photos of ourselves taken for our website. As an IT company, we felt it was imperative to appear approachable and human - I receive a lot of positive feedback about them, with many customers citing them as a key reason they decided to approach us!
Best wishes,
Derrick Cameron
Managing Director
Eximium Ltd

Susan Heaton Wright said...

Hi Derrick
Thank you so much for your comment. I was somewhat surprised by the impact of my photo with the 'I'd like to get to know you better' comments. However, I suppose whilst the photo isn't of that nature, possibly people were drawn to it.
I know that my husband's friend is a senior partner in a Law Firm and for their Christmas card they created a photo with all of the firm dressed up as cowboys and bar staff; it really did the firm's image no favours...